Source: information was collected by my grandmother Edith Lacey Waterbury during the late 1920's and 1930's.
Copyright 2004 Constance Mahoney
Material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this full paragraph remains on all copied material. These electronic pages, with original information, commentary, and underlying source code, cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation, nor may this copyrighted original electronic text be used on any other site or CD-ROM.
Family Profile of Enos VanGordon/VanGorden
Enos S. Van Gorden
Wife, Esther Sarles Van Gorden
1. Mary Ann (E?) Van Gorden Born Jan 23, 1840 or June 22, 1840 Married Rufus H Lacey in 1867-age 27 DOD: 1893 consumption Burial:Highland Cemetery Richford NY
2. Angelina C Van Gorden (AKA Ann C.) Born Dec 25, 1841 (possibly in Addison NY) Married James M. Lacey (2nd wife) DOD: she :August , 1917 age 76 DOD: he : 1903 age 74
3. Ruthana Jane VanGorden Born: Feb 14, 1844 Married: Lugirne (SP?) A Gates-June 22, 1864 Candor NY DOD: Feb 4, 1915 see below for children of Ruthanna and Lugirne
4. Lavina F. Van Gorden Born:October 5,1846 DOD :Feb 6, 1849 - age 2 years and 4 months Tompkins County, Newfield, NY
5. Lettie M. Van Gorden Born: May 31, 1849 ( or 47)*
6. Elvaretta (Alvaretta) Van Gorden (AKA: Allie M) Born: March 6,1852 Married name: John Henry Lacy DOD:she Feb 24, 1929 Richford, NY DOD: he June 14, 1927 Richford, NY Highland Cemetery in Richford, NY
7. Merrit S Edwin Van Gorden obit give name Edward S. Van Gorden Born: March 30, 1854 Married: July 4, 1888 to Mary Dennison DOD: Oct 26, 1910 age 56 Owego, Tioga County NY Evergreen Cemetery children of Ed & Mary: Lena,Ethel,Reva,Nina,Howard
8. Clara Rosalie VanGorden Born: April 8, 1867 (or 68)* Married Colonel Williams in Addison, Stuben County NY DOD: Feb 22, 1887 Newfield, Tomkins County NY Age at death: 20 years-10 months-19 days
The above information was given to Edith Waterbury copied and presented by Mildred Hungerford (sp?) from a Family Bible first belonging to Enos Van Gorden and later in the possession of Mary VanGorden, widow of Edwin Van Gorden.
* dates not in brackets are from the Bible belonging to Enos Van
Emma Gates (Calkin) born June 30, 1865...
OBIT for Edward Van Gorden AKA : Merrit S. Edwin VanGorden
Edward S. VAN GORDEN (1854 - 1910)
Edward S. VAN GORDEN died last night at his home on Talcott Street (Owego, Tioga County), aged 56 years. He is survived by his wife (Mary Dennison), four daughters, Lena, Ethel, Reva, and Nina, and one son, Howard Van Gorden, all residing at home. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 from the house, Rev. L. D. Palmer of the Methodist church officiating, with burial in Evergreen cemetery. He was a member of Ahwaga Lodge No. 587, F. and A. M., and Ahwaga Tribe, No. 40, Imp. O. R. M., and the burial will be in charge of the Red Men. Mr. Van Gorden had been a resident of this village about 30 years, 20 of which he had been employed in the Champion Wagon Company's shops. He had been a sufferer from Bright's disease for several months, and death came as a relief to his sufferings. He was a man much respected in this village, quiet, unassuming, and of the strictest integrity. The family have the sympathy of a large circle of friends in their bereavement.
(Printed in one of the Owego newspapers, October 26, 1910.)
Send comments or suggestions to: