Owego Record Front Page
July 2, 1896
Tioga Co., NY

Transcribed by: Bill Grummons

July 2, 1896


July 1., Mrs. Hannah RANDALL, who has been an invalid for many years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. LAWRENCE, Saturday, June 27, 1896. The funeral was held at the home Monday, Rev. J. B. COOK, officiating. Mrs. Randall had been a member of the M. E. Church for many years, this village having been her home for some time. She has two sons, Oscar and Charles, of this place and one daughter, Mrs. A. LAWRENCE of New Connecticut, to mourn the loss of a loving parent.

Mrs. F. W. BARBER died at her home on Maple Avenue on Thursday last after many months if intense suffering from a cancer affecting her right arm and shoulder. Through all her suffering she maintained a cheerful spirit, choosing for her funeral sermon, "As thy days, so shall thy strength be." Her maiden name was Lizzie BALL, and she was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. BALL, of North Newark. In September, 1888, she was united in marriage with Fred BARBER and leaves one sweet 8-year-old daughter, Louise, besides a son of Mr. BARBER'S from a previous marriage, whom she has cared for since infancy, to mourn her loss. She was an active member of the Congregational church, Christian Endeavor society and social circle, where she will be greatly missed. Her family has the sympathy of the entire community. The funeral took place from the home, Saturday afternoon, Rev., A. Y. WILCOX, officiating. William BALL of North Newark, James BALL of Proctor, PA, Charles BALL of Binghamton and Charles BALL of Arkansas, are brothers of the deceased.

Mrs. Eileen SMITH is visiting friends in Hornellsville.

Mrs. S. E. WARING and children are spending the summer months with their sister, Mrs. Charles FRANK.

Prof. J. S. KINGSLEY and family are preparing to take up their abode in F. W. RICHARDSON'S on Whig Street. All are glad to welcome Prof. KINGSLEY again to town.

Miss Susie RICHARDSON of Owego spent last week at the residence of Charles TAPPAN, Whig Street.

Miss Edith SHERWOOD of Albany Normal school is spending her vacation at home.

Misses Fannie and Helena FRANK leave town today, to visit relatives in Gallopsville, NY.

Miss Nellie CARGILL is visiting her sister in Arlington, NJ.

Prof. Wilbur ELWELL and Mrs. Frano MINTURN closed their school in Port Dickinson and are enjoying their vacations at their homes in this place.

A pretty home wedding occurred at the residence of Charles B. HOOKER on Whig Street last evening, it being the marriage of his second daughter, Miss Lucy BARNHAM and Burt W. BARRETT of West Newark. The ceremony was preformed by Rev. A. Y. WILCOX at 7:30. The bridal couple was surrounded by ferns and daisies. The bride was tastefully attired in bronze mohair and carried a bouquet of bride's roses. Only the immediate relatives of the consenting parties were present. After the wedding supper, the happy couple departed for a short tour, taking with them a plentiful supply of rice and old shoes. They will take up their abode in West Newark and are followed by congratulations and best wishes from a host of friends,


Fannie DEYO of Jacksonville was a guest of Mrs. L. L. LOCKWOOD on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

Daniel SCUDDER has obtained a position on the Lehigh Valley railroad's northern division and began work July 1.

Fred DARBONNIER is at home this week.

Will STARK of Peruville is assisting Bruce COOK in the milk station during the absence of Mr. HENDERSHOT.

The Epworth League held it's annual meeting last Thursday evening and elected the following officers for the ensuing year; President, Eva F. WARD; first vice-president, Mrs. C. J. DEWEY; second-vice president, Mrs. C. A. BUFFINGTON; third vice-president, Mrs. L. L. LOCKWOOD; fourth vice-president, Louise DARBONNIER; secretary, James DERMODY; treasurer, Asheur WOOSTER; organist, Lena LOCKWOOD; assistant organist, Mary L. CRAWFORD,

Sadie and Ella SHEPPARD gave a party at their home Wednesday.

Rose HUBBARD, preceptress of Dryden academy is spending a few days with friends in town. All are glad to learn that she is engaged for the coming year in the same school.

Mr., and Mrs. D. W. DEWEY returned to their home in Binghamton Monday

Mr. and Mrs. Dell HENDERSHOT are in New York this week, having their little son treated.

Mrs. J. W. HOLCOMB spent Wednesday with friends in Newark Valley.

...A benefit at Elmira to an ex-city policeman, Michael NEAGLE, netted over $1,000. Talk about hard times in Elmira. They are on easy street in that city.

...The L. A. W. sanction has been secured by the Northern Tioga Agricultural society for it's races during fair day at Newark Valley Aug. 26, 27 and 28.

...Frost on the hills north and south of Owego was reported Tuesday, the last day of June. It was 54 degrees above zero yesterday morning at 6 o'clock.

...June's last morning opened fair and presaged a clear day. "Will it rain the fourth?" is the question that interests those having outings planned for that day.

...Charles H. BUNZEY, the proprietor of the "Little Wonder" grocery, has moved from 204 Front street to the building in which the grocery is located on Talcott Street.

...The household goods of W. N. RICHARDS was moved yesterday from the rooms in the Record block which he has occupied for years to is house on west Front street.

...The small boy and his larger brother will see to it from now on that the scent of burned gunpowder is in the air until the Fourth wears him out and burns up all the powder.

...A Cortland Sunday school will visit Ithaca July, 1; the Owego Methodists come here July 21, and the I. O. O. F. of Moravia, Locke, Groton, and Peruville, July 23. - Ithaca Journal.

...There was a "horning" without the wedding Tuesday evening on upper North avenue. It is said that the celebration was only a little premature but it certainly was too early.

...Dr. R. S. HARNDEN went to Warren Center, near Owego, Saturday morning to assist Dr. CHAFFEE, professor in the New York post graduate medical schools, perform a delicate operation upon an old man. - Waverly Advocate

...Mrs. Nettie BAILEY, who has evinced signs of insanity for a long time, was found wading in the river south of the Ahwaga House early Tuesday morning and was induced to return to terra firma. She was taken to the county house.

...The Bethel M. E. church had a successful ice cream and strawberry festival at Ahwaga hall Friday evening. An excellent musical and literary program was given. The receipts were $25. and the expenses amounted to $11.50.

...Read HILLS, McLEAN & HASKINS ad, on the fourth page.

...Harry SNYDER is acting as Western Union messenger today.

...Between 600 and 700 Cortland excursionists picniced at Ithaca yesterday.

...A good position can be obtained at housework at the county house, See wants.

...Rev. C. M. BARTHOLOMEW will preach in the Broadway schoolhouse on Sunday next at 3.30 p. m.

...Elmira has issued 2,090 bicycle permits. It compels the use of lamps and bells on wheels in that city.

...Painters are improving the appearance of the exterior of Alderman, C. G. WOODFORD'S Main street residence.

...Fifteen years ago today the assassin's bullet inflicted the wound from which President GARFIELD died Sept. 19 of that year.

...The names of W. L. HOSKINS of Owego and W. L. WATROUS of Waverly appear from Tioga county an the manifesto issued to the Republican party by Hon. Warner MILLER and others.

...Street Sprinkler STRANG has got into the habit of soaking the bicycle path on the sloping side of North avenue so that it is dangerous to ride on that and not safe to ride anywhere on his territory on that street.

...Cameron B. DEAN was a passenger on Lackawanna train 6 this afternoon, returning from a trip to New Orleans, St. Paul, Milwaukee and Chicago. He sent his message by a Record reporter to all his Owego friends.


The funeral services of the late Mrs. Ray M. COLBY were held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the residence of Dr. C. L. STILES, Front Street, and were attended by a large circle of friends. Rev, C. M. BARTHOLOMEW of the Congregational church officiated and spoke with much feeling. He also read a letter from Rev., Dr. TAYLOR of Binghamton, who was unable to be present, in which the deceased was spoken of in most affectionate terms. The floral tokens were beautiful and elaborate. Among the prominent pieces was a handsome Maltese cross, a token of esteem from the Whatsoever Circle of King's Daughters, the members of which attended the funeral and accompanied the remains to their last resting place. Mrs. COLBY had been one of the most active members of this organization. The interment was in Evergreen cemetery. The bearers were A. W.. PARMELEE, W. A. SMYTH, L. S. LEONARD, R. H. REDDISH, E. R. BOOTH, and D. D. BRESEE. Among those in attendance from out of town were Eminent Commander T. P. CALKIN, and past Eminent Commander George H. SMITH of Malta Commandery, No. 21, Knights Templar, of Binghamton, of which Mr. Colby is a member.


Rev. Milton F. NEGUS preached an excellent sermon to the wheel riders of Owego, Sunday evening to a large congregation in Wilson Opera House. He chose as his subject "Ezekiel's wheel" and from it wove a discourse that was very applicable to the subject and occasion.


Rev A. W. COWLES, D. D., L. L. D., president of the Elmira College, preached two excellent sermons Sunday at the First Presbyterian church in the absence of the pastor, Rev. A. C. McKENZIE.


Rev. Marion YAGER pastor of the Church of the Messiah of Binghamton preached at Odd FELLOWS' hall Sunday afternoon. The communion of the Lords supper was administered and the right hand of fellowship extended to one new member.


The wheel parade will take place Friday evening and the line will move from in front of STRONG'S bicycle store at 7 o'clock. There will be two divisions with a Marshall and three Lieutenants. The ladies division will lead the parade and both divisions will ride in two columns, one on each side of the street.

The line of the parade will be from the starting point up Front Street, through John, and down Main, through Lake, down Front, through Academy, up Main to North Avenue and up that street to the Erie crossing. There the line will halt and all lanterns will be lighted. As the street above that point is torn up for the new sewer and thus made rough, the line will ride down North Avenue, east on Temple street to Spencer Avenue, to Main, up Main, through Paige, to Front, down Front Street to Park Street and the ride around the courthouse park thus affording a grand opportunity for spectators to see the whole parade at one time, at one revue,

People along the line need not hesitate to burn their fireworks and red fire, after the darkness, will make them show up well, only be careful and not throw explosives into or in the direction of the ranks.


The first bicycle lantern parade came off Friday evening according to the program and was quite a success as far as far as decorations were concerned but not as numerous as hoped.

The line of the parade was a long one reaching the principal resident portions of the village as well as the business streets.

There is strong talk of another parade next Friday evening, July 8.


The large black bear, which was seen and fired at by the party of hunters near YOUNG'S Station on the O. & W. road about one week ago, has since been killed in the town of Franklin. The Carcass weighed over 500 pounds.


Mrs. J. B. WILLIAMSON of Binghamton, Mrs. Wilbur TOWNSEND and Miss Louise HORTON of Elmira and Miss Edith HORTON of the Cortland normal school are visiting their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Theo. HORTON, Main Street. The hustling head of the family insists that he had the lawn all mowed before one of the girls got home.

.A covered carriage was overturned last night in the sewer trench on upper North Avenue and while a lady cyclist was crowding up to see about it, she fell in too. No one was hurt.

.It is related that a man from the rural districts entered the midnight lunch wagon in Auburn the other evening and after sitting awhile, ejaculated; "Wal, when's this gosh durned car agoing to start, anyway?"


.W. C. RENWICK left Monday for Buffalo.

.James SULLIVAN of Binghamton was in town Monday.

.Mr. Frank TRUMAN is improving slowly toward convalescence.

.Frank PAYNE of Binghamton was in town yesterday afternoon.

.Mayor James FORSYTH left Tuesday for the Northwood's.

.Rev. and Mrs. M. D. FULLER are passing a few days at Scranton

.Bissell WOODFORD is dangerously ill at his residence on Front Street.

.Mrs. C. B. DUGAN and Mrs. C. F. HUTCH will pass the fourth at Dushore.

.H. D. BOLT, and wife, and Mrs. L. J. ELLIS, are passing the week at Waverly.

.Lehigh Traveling Agent Paul S. MILLSPAUGH of Ithaca was in town Tuesday.

.L. S. LEONARD and Miss Minnie WADE were in Binghamton Monday afternoon.

.Prof. H. L. RUSSELL left Monday night for Norway, ME, to pass the summer vacation.

.Orin WHITE is ill with inflammatory rheumatism at his home near Sulphur Springs.

.Mr. and Mrs. George FAULKNER of Owego were in town last evening - Ithaca Journal.

.County Clerk F. W. RICHARDSON and wife have returned home from their wedding trip.

.Miss May L. DAWES and her brother Master Leslie are passing some time in Binghamton.

.Prof. and Mrs. E. E. BOGART have gone for a weeks visit to with relatives in Owego - Ithaca Journal.

.George STALKER has move from 55 North Avenue to rooms in the Taylor creamery on the south side.

.Mrs. George KEELER and son Lou and Mrs. W. F. FLETCHER of Ithaca are visiting in town for a week or two.

.Miss Mabel WARD, the little daughter of John H. WARD, head clerk at the Awaga House is ill with intermittent fever.

.J. S. GROSS, Esq, has returned from Marathon where he passed several days and participated in a regimental reunion.

.Miss Mary FIELD was in Binghamton last Tuesday evening in attendance at the wedding of her friend Miss Mame CARL.

.Charles SWEEZEY, The Erie train baggage master, who has been threatened with typhoid fever, is able to be out on the street,

.Mrs. L. S. PHILLIPS of Winona, MO, and Mrs. Emily GORE of Speedsville are visiting at G. L. HAYNES, William Street.


Harry CARRIGAN, a switchman employed by the Erie railroad had his left foot crushed while making a coupling at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon. The accident occurred just east of Liberty Street where the Syracuse and Binghamton tracks cross the Erie tracks. CARRIGAN, Warren Van DEBURGH and John L. ALDEN were engaged to switching Erie cars out of the D., L & W crossover. CARRIGAN stepped in between two cars to pull a coupling pin. His foot caught in a frog on the S. & B. crossover and he only had time to throw himself backward before the cars were upon him. One car and the switch engine passed over his left ankle and foot.

CARRIGAN was picked up and brought to the depot. Dr. McNamara, surgeon for the Erie road and Dr. HALL were summoned. They summoned the ambulance, and the injured man taken to the city hospital. It was found necessary to amputate the injured member between the ankle and the knee. CARRIGAN is 24 years of age. His home is in Owego, but he boards with his sister, Mrs. J. B. COVENHOVEN, 125 Liberty Street, this city. CARRIGAN bore the operation well and was resting comfortably last evening. - Binghamton Republican, Monday.


Died, at Owego, NY, Wednesday, July 1, 1896, Charles LOUNSBURY, aged 69 years. The funeral will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at River Valley church. Interment will take place in the LOUNSBURY cemetery.


About One Hundred Entombed at Pittson, PA.


Hundreds of Tons of Earth Caved In Upon The Doomed Men.

The Disaster Had Threatened For Some Days and the Men Were Trying to Prevent the Very Calamity Which Occurred - Two Men and a Boy, Who Had Started to Leave the Slope, the Only Ones Who Escaped - The Fall Followed by a terrific Detonation Whish Was Heard Miles Away and Shook the Entire Town - Mining Experts Declare it Will Be Ten Days Before the Bodies of the Victims Can Be Rescued - Thousands of People, Including Friends and Relatives of the Doomed Men, Surround the mouth of the Shaft and Give Vent to Their Grief.

Wilkes-Barrie, PA, June 29, - While 90 miners were at work in the Red Ash vein of the Twin Shaft at Pittson, about 3 o'clock Sunday morning the roof caved in and it is believed that all the men perished. About 40 of the imprisoned men were English-speaking miners, the others foreigners.

The Names of the Former are.

M. J. LANGAN: inside superintendent. Edward BUCKLEY; John CASEY; Edwin ROGERS; James KEHOE; James MCDONALD; Edward DELANEY; Cornelius MCGUIRE; James GOLDEN; M. O'BRIEN; Michael HUGHES; Edward KILDAY; James BURKE; Pat RUANE; Thomas TENPENNY; J. H. LYNOTT; inside foreman. Alex McCORMACK; fire boss. Robert HASTON; machinist. Thomas MURPHY; driver boss.

The Following Miners:

Thomas COSTELLO; J. H. KELLEY; Michael GAUDHAN; John HART; James DAILY; Michael CONNELL; Daniel WARD; Frank KEHOE; James CLEARY; Michael R. GAFFNEY; Thomas DERING; Anthony KANE; J. W. MURPHY; Owen LEE; Anthony GORDON; James WALL; and his son; Dominick O'MALLEY; Peter MARTIN; Michael FORD; Thomas DUBRICK; Thomas DEMPSEY; Thomas CARLIN; Patrick GIBBONS; John O'BOYLE; Peter JOYCE.

Aside from these there may be other English-speaking miners among the unfortunates. Thirty Polanders and Huns were entombed and it is thought that the total number of bodies will top 100.

The men were at work propping up the roof when the fall occurred. The alarm was immediately given by the ringing of the fire bells and rescuers were put to work without delay. At 8 o'clock in the afternoon the first bodies were found in the slope, some distance from the place where the men were working.

More then two-thirds of the victims were married men and leave families. Among them were acting Mayor LANGAN, who was inside superintendent of the mine and J. H. LYNOTT, a ward councilman.

About two weeks ago the surveyors reported to General Superintendent LAW that the mine was "squeezing" and unless steps were immediately taken to timber it a cave-in or fall might be looked for. Superintendent LAW lost no time, but at once put a number of lumbermen at work to brace the falling roof.

The "squeeze" continued, however, and Saturday the situation became alarmingly. In the afternoon a light fall occurred, and the men at work had to retreat before it. A consultation of mine officials was then held and it was decided that heroic measures would have to be resorted to prevent heavy damage to the mine.

Inside Superintendent LANGAN gave instructions that the most experienced miners should be secured and that the party would go down the mine at 7 o'clock. Expert lumbermen put in appearance at that hour and were soon lowered into the workings. They made their was to Red Ashe vein, 1,500 feet down the slope. The work of propping proceeded rapidly until 11 o'clock when another fall occurred. It made another rumbling noise and the flying coal and debris drove the men back.

Then the "squeeze" ceased again and the men thought it safe to resume work. They labored until 3:20 o'clock when, as it is presumed, the roof fell in without warning, making a tremendous crash.

It is supposed, however, that the men were not all together but some but some near the slope, and those probably ran up the incline when the fall occurred. This is the only way the finding of Mayor LANGAN'S body in the slope can be accounted for. If the men had received any warning, they have had had time to run up the slope, but not to any great distance. The falling rock and coal filled up the slope and the adjoining gangways, completely shutting off all avenues of escape.

It was at first supposed that the men might have escaped being caught in the fall and that they were imprisoned behind the debris, but the finding of the two bodies would go to disprove this. It is possible, however, that living men may still be behind the fall, although it is extremely improbable. Even if they escaped being crushed by the falling roof, the probability of their being alive in a gaseous mine is remote.

The alarm was first given by Water Carrier John SHERIDAN, who with William RICHARD and Thomas GILL were the only ones to escape of the whole party who entered the mine. He was on his way up the slope to get some fresh water for the men, and when about 100 feet from the foot of the shaft he was knocked down by the concussion. He was badly cut and burned by flying coal and rock. He lay unconscious for ten minutes and then came up the shaft. The concussion was so great that it was heard for miles around.

MINERS BURIED (continuation)

The foundations of nearly every house in Pittson was shaken and windows and doors Rattled as in a tornado. In houses nearer the mine persons were thrown from their beds. The first thought was that a great earthquake had occurred. . . (two sentences cut off,)

. . .by daybreak. (Ditto) Stalwart men stood appalled, and frantic woman, who had husbands and sons in the doomed mine, waited in despair. One mother cried out that she had two sons below. Another was the wife or widow, of some unfortunate and had nine helpless children at home. Many knelt on the ground and in voices broken with sobbing, implored Divine Providence to restore their loved ones alive.

When it was given out that there was little or no hope of rescuing the men alive, women and girls fainted and were borne away senseless. The work of rescue was prompt and efficient. The best miners, who remained on the surface, joined voluntarily in the hazardous task - for hazardous it certainly was. There was the constant menace of another fall or an explosion of firedamp. Special efforts were made to keep the air fan in good order, so that if by any chance the men were alive they should have fresh air.

The blocked slope and gangways held out little hope of the air reaching them. The rescuers were divided into three relays of 40 men each, under the direction of Mine Foreman, Alex McMILLEN.

The men worked as thought they never worked, clearing away the debris in the slope with the energy that springs out of the knowledge of dear lives behind it. They made good headway, considering the difficulties they had to contend with, and at 3 o'clock in the afternoon had cleared the slope to a distance of 600 feet.

Activity brought encouragement, but when the first clearance it revealed a sight that dispelled all hope. Under the mass of rock lay the bodies of LANGAN and LYNOTT. A damper fell upon the work of the rescuers. They had been working for life and found death. Still the hope remained that others of the men might be penned in somewhere and they would yet have the satisfaction of finding them alive.

At 9 o'clock it became necessary to swear in extra policeman to control the crowd around the mouth of the shaft. It had increased to fully 7,000. Ropes were stretched around the shaft and only mine official's were allowed to enter the enclosure.

Young SHERIDAN, the water boy, who had such a narrow escape, tells a thrilling tale of the disaster. He thinks there was an explosion of gas which blew down the newly erected timbers and caused the cave-in. When he left the mine to go out the slope to get water those inside had no apprehension of a fall or "squeeze." Everything was working nicely and the men expected to be out of the mine within and hour.

"The report of the fall," says the boy, 'was like a hundred cannon, and the force of it blew me fully 25 feet. I was hurled against the side of the slope. A piece of rock hit me back of the head, the wound commenced to bleed and then I fainted.

RICHARDS and GILL, who were on their way out after timber, concur with SHERIDAN that the concussion was terrific. The cannot conceive the possibility of anybody being in the wreck and escaping with his life.

Superintendent LAW says: Nobody regrets this dreadful occurrence more than I do. It is too early yet to give any reason as to the cause, but I can assure you, that had I thought there was any danger in the work undertaken to the men, not a single one of them would have been allowed to enter the mine with my permission. I do not care for the damage to the mine. It is the great loss of life that gives me the most sorrow.

The breaker of the Twin shaft burned down three years ago. There were over 100 men in the mine at the time, but all escaped through a second opening.

The first disaster in the anthracite region was in September, 1869, when 120 men perished in the Avondale mine, this county. The breaker over the mine caught fire, and all the men in the mine were suffocated.

This great catastrophe caused the legislature to pass a law compelling mines to have two openings.

Later - The report that two bodies had been found in the mine proves to have been premature. Up to 9 o'clock no bodies had been found. At that hour all hope of finding any of them alive had been abandoned.

Superintendent LATHROP of the Lehigh Valley Coal company, who is an authority, says it will be ten days before the bodies are reached. He says they are under a heavy fall.

During the late hours of the afternoon the searchers made but little progress, because the part of the slope upon which their energies were bent was "working." The heaviest timbers were like matches under the heavy pressure from above..

At 11 o'clock the situation at the ill-fated mine was unchanged. The rescuers were hard at work, but making little progress.

Superintendent McMILLEN has given orders that the rescuers must proceed with great caution now, as the rock they are laboring under is "working" more or less. There is danger that in hurrying the work others may be lost.

A conference of prominent mine superintendents from all over the Wyoming valley was held, and the situation in the mine was discussed. The conclusion was reached that to prevent further loss of life the work of rescue must proceed with care. It is also the unanimous belief of the superintendents that the mine is now a tomb, and it will be some days before the rescuers reach the bodies.

At 12:25 o'clock this morning there was another fall in the slope. It drove the rescuers back. The twenty feet of ground they had gained since 8 o'clock was therefore lost.

At midnight the crowd around the mouth of the shaft had dwindled to about 800.


Two Miners Killed and Three Others Missing at Monongahela.

Monongahela, PA, July 1, - An explosion of gas in the Washington coal mine at Lafayette City killed Mike BARBARAS and Louie DERISTE, two Italians.

Three others who went into the mine at the same time are missing and are believed be buried under the debris. There names are not known.

The mine has been closed for some time and the men were given permission to enter for their tools. It is supposed their lamps ignited the gas.

Send comments or suggestions to:

Ernie Miles