This list was compiled by Stephen Downs, who for many years served as the unofficial historian for Village of Waverly, in the hope it would be shared.
1. Etienne ( Stephen) Brule, a Frenchman, explorer and interpreter for Samuel Champlain visited Carantouan ( Spanish Hill ). Probably the first white man in these parts. A monument placed on the hill in 1915 commerates the event. ( Source; History and Geography of Bradford County 1615 - 1924
2. General Thomas, Westchester County, was given a military grant, first white man to own land in theis area. ( Historical Gazatteer, Tioga County 1785 - 1888 )
3. John Shepard purchased 1,000 acres in 1796, embracing all of site of Waverly, from General Thomas.
4. Fitzgerald, an early settler, had a farm in the vicinity of Barton before the Revolution. ( First settler in Tioga County. ) This became the shipping place for Sullivan's soldiers on Aug. 21, 1779 ( Looking backward Over The Years No. 63 )
5. Alexander Ellis was the first white child born in the vicinity of Ellistown, the son of Ebenezer Ellis who harvested the first crops in the Town of Barton, arriving in 1791.
6. Nathaniel Clapp, a Quaker, settled near Spanish Hill in 1807. ( History and Geography of Bradford County )
7. Joshua Pierce was the first white man to live in or near Waverly, had a home and tavern just west of the village, destroyed by fire in 1853 ( Waverly Free Press 1895 )
8. G. Walker constructed the first grist mill in Factoryville in 1890. ( Looking Backward Over the Years. )
9. Benjamin Aikens was the first local preacher in 1805.
10. Josiah Crocker, from Lee, Berkshire Co., Mass. located at Factoryville in 1808, and built a fulling - mill on Cayuta Creek, near the state line. ( History of Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins and Schuyler Co's 1879 )
11. First survey of Factoryville by Maj. Flower 1819 - 20. ( Waverly Free Press Feb. 2, 1903 )
12. Deacon Strong first preacher in Waverly. Occupied plank house at what is now 425 Pennsylvania Avenue. ( Historical Gazatteer of Tioga County, New York )
13. Very early school ( Walker school ) constructed about 1829, corner of N. Chemung and Cauyta Avenue, also used as Meeting House. ( First Sunday School 1834 ) ( Waverly Free Press Feb. 2, 1903 )
14. In 1821, the Chemung Turnpike ( Chemung Street ) was laid out. About the same time a road from Athens to Ithaca was opened.
15. First post office occupied in 1823. The first postmaster was Isaac Shepard and the ofice was kept in the woolen mill and later removed to Chemung Road ( Waverly Free Press Feb. 2, 1903 )
16. First tavern opened by Isaac Shepard 1824/ 25. ( Waverly Free Press Feb. 1903 )
17. As early as 1826, a small wooden house stood on the site where Murray's stone house now stands., Bradford St. , S. Waverly, Pa. The stone house was erected in 1855 ( Historical Gazatteer of Tioga County N.Y. 1785 - 1888 and Waverly Free Press July 6, 1901 ) ( This house later demolished to make right - of - way for ramp to Rt. 199.)
18. Dr. Prentice was the first physician. William Gioles, first attorney, Rev. Vallentine Cook, first preacher. ( An Outline of History of Seven Counties - Elmira Star - Gazette 1885 )
19. The first churches 1825 - 35 Emory Chapel at Ellistown and the Methodist Church in Barton.
20. Rev. Henry Ball was one of the pioneer Baptist ministers in this vicinity, coming from Brookfield, Orange County, probably in 1830, though possibly a few years earlier and was the pastor in charge of the old brick church in Factoryville from 1835 - 1839. Rev. Henry Ball is said to have been the first person buried in Forest Home Cemetery ( Looking Backward Over the Years, Nov. 19, 1903 )
21. About 1830, the present site of the Methodist Church was a noted huckleberry field ( Looking Backward Over the Years, Mar. 20, 1903 )
22. R.O. Crandall was the first resident physician in 1840
23. Fletcher Chapel 1840 ( Factoryville Methodist ) dedicated Dec. 10, 1841. ( Waverly Free Press, Apr. 17, 1902 )
24. Alva Jarvis opened the first store in Waverly proper in 1841.
25. J.E. Hallett first suggested the name of Waverly for the village. Hallet house built in 1841. early names for Waverly were Factoryville, Shepardsville, Villamont and the name Loder Davisville was also considered bt all names were rejected by vote of the people. The name "Waverely " as spelled in Scott's novels was used for many years.
26. Erie Railroad completed through Waverly in 1849.
27. First store opened on Broad Street by William Gibbons Nov. 1849.
28. The first Presbyterian Church of Waverly was organized June 8, 1847. The Grace Protestant Episcopal Church organized Dec. 28, 1853. The first Catholic Church in Waverly was erected on Erie Street in 1853. The Methodist Episcopal Church of Waverly was erected in Mar. 1864. The Baptist Church was established in 1865.
29. The first newspaper was the Waverly Luminary, Thomas Messenger, editor and propietor. The initial number of the Luminary bore the date Oct. 3, 1851. ( Looking Backward Over the Years, No. 24 )
30. Some far sighted men in the spring of 1852 began a good work and added greatly to the attractiveness of the village by planting four hundred maple trees on the principal thoroughfares. ( Looking Backward Over the Years, No. 26 )
31. The Davis block was the first brick building erected on Broad Street in 1852.
32. In 1853 the new village of Waverly station contained 1, 259 inhabitants, excluding those of Factoryville.
33. The first chapter election was held Mar. 27, 1854. H.M. Moore the first president of the village, chosen Apr. 27, 1864 by the Board of Trustees ( among their own members ) . This method of choosing the president continued until 1863 when at the election held May 5, William W. Shepard was elected to that office by the people, being the first so chosen. (Looking Backward Over the Years - Waverly Free Press of June 19, 1903 )
34. Peter Wentz was the first justice in Waverly, 1854.
35. The first fire company ( Old Neptune ) was organized May 1855.
36. Opening of Old Waverly Bank, May 1856, at the corner of Loder and Broad Streets ( Later McDonald's Monuments ) , also the erection of the Waverly Institute in 1857. Professor Lang headed it. ( Looking Backward Over the Years No, 34, July 1903 )
37. July 4, 1857, Waverly's biggest celebration. Three enormous flag poles erected. The tallest was 150 feet and situated on the corner of Broad and Fulton. Probably 5,000 people in town that day for the festivities. ( Looking Backward Over the Years, No. 39 )
38. The first Waverly boy to enlist in the Civil War was DeForrest Payne. He became a sargent at 16, was killed in action. ( Looking Backward Over the Years, No. 36 )
39. First Lehigh Valley train from Wilkes - Barre to Waverly, Sept. 1869.
40. An early baseball game in Waverly played 1867. Score - Waverly 52, Litchfield 37. (Waverly Free Press, Sat., June 1, 1889 )
41. Mark Twain stopped in Waverly ( Aug. 1868 ) on his way to Elmira on the Erie R.R.
42. The old band stand was put up in the park in 1869. This was replaced by a new one in 1900. Again was replaced in 1998.
43. The village was first lighted with gas, July 24, 1873.
44. The first telephone was put in Dec. 1877.
45. The Waverly Water Co. was organized in 1880. Officers of the company were J.I.Sawyer, S.W. Slaughter, J.B. Floyd.
46. Stone's Hall constructed in 1888.
47. Factoryville annexed to Waverly in 1889.
48. Keystone Park started in 1890's.
49. Town Hall in Waverly ordered built in May 1891.
50. Village clock had been in use since 1892.
51. Sunday, Sept. 6, 1896, YMCA, now Masonic Temple, opened to inspection.
52. Theodore Roosevelt was in Waverly, Friday, Oct. 13, 1899 at Senator Johnson's home on Park Avenue ( Waverly Free Press, 1899 )
53. First horseless carriage to travel the streets of Waverly was owned by Dr. Ellsworth Gamble. The Locomobile was ordered from the St. Louis Gasoline Motor Company, June 24, 1899 and arrived in Waverly, July 14, 1900.
54. Carrie Nation arrived in Waverly, on a late train, went directly to the Norwood Hotel where she registered as " Carrie Nation, Your Home Defender, Kansas " and went directly to her room for the night. She made no attempt to do her more or less popular act of bar - room smashing and soon paid her bill and took the 7:08 car to Sayre ( Waverly Free Press 1901 )
55. Geo. N. Pierce, noted automobile manufacturer of Buffalo, N.Y., maker of the " Pierce Arrow" was a former Waverly boy and lived on Cayuta Avenue, Waverly. Died and buried in Buffalo in 1910. ( Waverly Free Press Apr. 1, 1910 )
56. Probably the first airplane to fly over Waverly was that of Lt. Rogers in 1911.
57. Water fountain installed by WCTU at the corner of Broad and Fulton in 1912, abandoned in the 1940's.
58. Waverly voted " Dry" under local option in 1915.
59. Tioga General Hospital opened on Thanksgiving Day 1930.
Send comments or suggestions to:
Ernie Miles...... This page was updated Wednesday, 26-Mar-2008 06:37:33 PDT.